Friday, January 23, 2009

Mini / Pre-Baby / Valentines / Birthday Vacation


I think the title is pretty much self-explanatory...but we've decided to take a long weekend in February (over Valentines weekend), and plan a little trip...for many reasons.

1. It's Valentines weekend...what's better than a weekend away with your hubbie, especially when he's been working so hard and such long hours (even some weekends). It will give us some time to just hang out and be together without having to think about work (hopefully!)

2. This will probably be one of our last, if not the last vacation/trip alone before the baby comes...just a fun romantic weekend away.

3. My birthday just happens to fall 2 days after Valentines, so we'll also be celebrating my 30th birthday!! :)

I can't think of many more good reasons than that to take a trip. Plus the fact that we're in St. Louis now, and so close to so many neat weekend getaway spots...like CHICAGO!!!...definitely doesn't hurt!
We're taking the train (Amtrak-which will be a fun adventure in itself) in on Thursday afternoon, and then coming back Sunday night. I'm super excited. I've made our train and hotel reservations, and am now just researching things to do, places to eat, etc. If anyone knows Chicago and has any ideas...I'd love to hear them!

Since Lauren (sister) lived there for 3 years, I have some ideas, and she's helping me with how to get to places, good restaurants, etc. Our hotel looks AWESOME!! I'm really excited about it! Since it's definitely low tourist season in Chicago (with the bitterly cold temps and snow), a lot of great hotels (4 star!) had really good rates. So we were able to get a fantastic deal at a 4 star hotel right smack dab in the middle of the Magnificent Mile...close to all the shopping, and a quick trip to lots of other things Chicago has to do!

The hotel has been recently (2008) renovated completely, and looks really cool. Here are a few pics:

They even have a "Pillow Menu" for goodness sakes...which I'm really excited about. I know, seems odd to be excited about something as trivial as a pillow. But I've woken up many mornings in hotels with a pounding headache due to a terrible hotel pillow! So...I think a "pillow menu" is a wonderful ammenity!

I only wish that we could have our u/s to determine boy/girl by then so we could do a little baby shopping on Michigan Avenue..........

2 comments:

Honeyed Hashette said...

The hotel looks sweet! I love that orange velvet bolster pillow. I want it! I hope you guys have a wonderful, amazing time on your mini-prebaby-valentines-birthday vacation! LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

Hey Allison...saw your blog from facebook. First of all, congrats on the baby!!! I had no idea! Secondly, Jeremy and I have spent 5 of our 8 anniversaries in Chicago and we LOVE it! We always would take the train up too...it's the best way to go in our opinion. Bus passes are pretty cheap and they can take you anywhere. If you haven't seen the Blue Man Group before, it was a lot of fun--we usually spent our time shopping and eating though!